Refurbished Lincoln Hall set to reopen

Lincoln Hall will reopen this fall after an extensive three-year renovation.

The 18 classrooms, four lecture halls and theater will host approximately 12,800 students in 230 courses. The building will also house faculty office spaces.

“I cannot express how excited we are,” said Joan Volkmann, associate dean for advancement in LAS. “We are stunned at how beautiful the building is.”

She said the upgrades and other changes will make experiences for current and future students more valuable.

Deb Bielser, faculty member in molecular and cellular biology, said the changes are drastic.

“It was very dilapidated,” she said. “They just restored it to its old glory.”

The total project cost the University $65.6 million, with $57.3 million contributed by the state.

Matthew Marquez, sophomore in FAA, recently visited Lincoln Hall and thought the renovations were “really overly ostentatious.”

“It didn’t need an awesome renovation,” he said. “It just needed a renovation.”

Even though the majority of the construction on Lincoln Hall is finished, carpenters, painters and historic finishers continue to put the final touches on the building, carpenter Brad Purcell said.

All the work will be completed by homecoming weekend, when Lincoln Hall will host an open house.

The open house will have a free brunch followed by guided tours from architects and historic preservationists. Visitors can tour the building during the open house.

In addition to the tours, the Marching Illini will march from Memorial Stadium to the Quad to perform their post-game show in front of the newly renovated building.

The chancellor will speak and install a time capsule in Lincoln Hall’s front porch.