Two arrested following armed subject call

Champaign police officers arrested two men early Sunday morning after responding to an armed subject call.

According to a press release from Champaign Police, officers responded to a report at 1:38 a.m. of an armed subject who just fired a shot at his roommate in the 100 block of East John Street.

A 22-year-old male reported coming home from a bar and engaging in a physical altercation with his roommate, in which a knife was displayed by one of the parties and a single shot was fired at the victim through his bedroom door.

The victim escaped unharmed and a passerby contacted police.

Officers were dispatched to the scene at 1:39 a.m. and were informed that the armed subject may still have been inside the apartment.

Police arrived at the scene and located the victim in the area. During an attempt to conduct an interview, the intoxicated victim became agitated and ripped up flooring and seating inside the back seat of a squad car, in which the interview took place.

David Lu, 22, was then arrested on the charge of criminal damage to property and transported to Champaign County Jail.

The SWAT team was called to the scene to assist and search the building at 109 E. John St. Residents of the building, in addition to a nearby building, were evacuated before the search began.

Police repeatedly attempted to gain access to the suspect’s apartment and used a robot to locate the suspect once entering the apartment. The suspect, and a male and female who were not involved in the incident, were found sleeping inside.

Police also recovered the knife and a gun in the apartment a short time later.

Daniel J. Chang, 22, was arrested on charges of unlawful use of a weapon and aggravated discharge of a firearm and was transported to Champaign County Jail.

University students were sent an Illini-Alert at approximately 3:30 a.m. that indicated police were on scene for a possible hostage situation and to avoid the area.

A second Illini-Alert sent approximately one hour later clarified that it wasn’t a hostage situation.

A final Illini-Alert, sent at approximately 6:05 a.m., alerted students that the situation had been resolved and it was safe to return to the area.

Editor's note: This article has been updated to reflect the terms of the arrests, on charges of criminal damage of property, unlawful use of a weapon and aggravated discharge of a firearm. The Daily Illini regrets this error.