JSM, Champaign plan new campus center

The city of Champaign is working with JSM Development to bring a new building complex to campustown. 

The new Campus Center will be built on Lot J, the space near the intersection of Sixth and Green streets. The center will include a hotel, multi-family residential units and retail space. 

Pending the finalization of plans by the Champaign City Council, JSM will begin construction of the Campus Center. The center will be composed of two mixed-use buildings connected by a glass bridge and also include a five-story parking garage. Four stories of hotel rooms will extend outward over the building that currently houses Penn Station, 605 S. Sixth St. and Flat Top Grill, 607 S. Sixth St. 

Because the plans have not yet been finalized, Lorrie Pearson, land development manager for Champaign, said it may be a few months until the construction begins because there are a few more steps in the process, including the transfer of land from the city to JSM. 

Once the plan is finalized, JSM is expected to pay approximately $3.9 million for the land the center will be built on. 

In addition, Healey Street, between Sixth and Fourth Streets, will be reconstructed to accommodate the building. 

“Because a hotel is part of the project, it will introduce a new group of customers,” Pearson said. “There has been some concern that the redevelopment of Lot J will result in a loss of public parking.”