Mayor issues orders for bars, stores for Unofficial

Champaign Mayor Don Gerard released his emergency order Wednesday morning for the informal campus holiday, which is expected to take place March 1 through March 2, although the order notes the holiday may extend into March 3.

As in past years, the entry age for bars and licenses that sell alcohol will be 21 years or older from 10 a.m. March 1 to 2:30 a.m. March 2 and from 9 p.m. March 2 to 2:30 a.m. March 3. Establishments are also required to have one of-age employee checking IDs during business hours on March 1-3.

The order forbids all Champaign bars and restaurants with liquor licenses from serving or permitting consumption of alcoholic beverages between 6 to 10 a.m. on March 1-2. Other restrictions, in effect from 10 a.m. March 1 to 2:30 a.m. March 3, include:

• Hosting any private parties with drink specials
  • Serving beer pitchers
  • Drinks can only be served in bottles, cans or paper or plastic cups

Stores with retailer’s licenses will not be allowed to sell package liquor between 6 to 10 a.m. March 1-2. Prior to the sale of 168 or more 12-ounce containers of beer or malt beverages or 100 ounces of  distilled spirits or one keg, the store must fill out an adult responsibility form.

No keg permits will be issued between 12:01 a.m. March 1 to 2:30 a.m. March 3. Residences are limited to one keg.

The order also notes that police have the power to order any establishment with a liquor license to close if it is obstructing local traffic.

Editor's Note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the 21- year-old entry age at bars would be extended to March 2. The entry age will be extended to March 3. The Daily Illini regrets this error.