Same-sex marriage legislation passes in Illinois Senate

Under current legislation, Chan Choi, junior in FAA, only has the option of joining in a civil union in Illinois if he wants to legally commit to a partner. 

However, Illinois moved closer Thursday to becoming the 10th state in the nation to allow same-sex couples to legally wed, after the Senate voted to lift a ban on gay marriage.

Senators voted 34-21 to approve the measure Thursday, sending it on to the state House where Democrats also hold a majority. Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn has said he will sign the bill if the House approves it.

According to Quinn’s State of the State address Feb. 6, nearly 5,200 couples are joined in civil unions in the 94 counties in Illinois since the civil union law went into effect in June 2011. In the city of Champaign, 188 civil unions have been filed, said Champaign County Clerk Gordy Hulten. 

The bill’s sponsor, Sen. Heather Steans, D-Chicago, called it “a vote for the history books.”

“We have the opportunity today to welcome all families in Illinois as equally valued,” she said.

Choi had similar sentiments.

“I think it is time for Illinois to pass the legislation because quite honestly ... it could be a monumental step for our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters,” Choi said.

Some Republicans raised concerns that the bill would force religious organizations to allow same-sex marriage ceremonies in their fellowship halls, parish centers or even in their sanctuaries. 

Before approving the measure, the Senate attached an amendment Thursday that explicitly states no church or other religious organization will be forced to perform same-sex marriages. It also says churches cannot be sued if they don’t allow their parishes to be used for same-sex marriage ceremonies.

Sen. Jason Barickman, R-Champaign, was the only Republican to vote in favor of same-sex marriage. He said he worked with Steans on the amendment before pledging his support.

“I think it was the right thing to do,” Barickman said. “It’s a vote that I understand some have varying opinions on, but I feel that I voted in the correct way.”

The Valentine’s Day vote marked the first time same-sex marriage has passed on the floor of either chamber of the Legislature. Steans and other supporters tried to pass it during the January lame duck session. But after getting approval from a Senate committee, Steans opted not to call for floor action, saying it didn’t have enough votes.

After picking up seats in November, Democrats entered the current legislative session with control of 40 seats in the Senate, where 30 votes are required to advance most measures. The Senate Executive Committee approved the gay marriage bill on a party-line vote last week, setting up the Valentine’s Day floor action.

Rep. Greg Harris, D-Chicago, said he “the prospects are very good” in the House, where he’s the bill sponsor.

Harris said he hasn’t spoken with House leadership about when a vote may occur in the House, but he said he hopes it will be soon. He wouldn’t comment on how the roll call looks so far.

Polls show voters’ feelings shifting rapidly in favor of gay rights. Last year President Barack Obama said he supports same-sex marriage, and in November voters in four states either approved or voted down bans on same-sex marriage.

“I think it’s a safer vote to vote with us than to vote against us at this point,” Bennett said.

The issue has caused internal conflict among Republicans as the party works balance its efforts to appeal more to younger voters, minorities and women with the more socially conservative positions of some members.

After Illinois Republican Party Chairman Pat Brady announced his support for gay marriage during the lame-duck legislative session, saying it was a civil rights issue, some Republicans called for his ouster. Opponents of gay marriage pledged to fund primary candidates who run against Republicans that in favor of the bill.

Thursday’s vote came two years after Illinois lawmakers approved civil unions, which provide legal recognition of a partnership between two people, regardless of gender. But gay marriage supporters said it wasn’t enough.

Choi said he thinks same-sex legislation, such as that of civil unions, is discriminatory.

“I believe that subjecting laws to who we can and or cannot appreciate is awful, and a civil union is wrong to deny same sex couples of tax benefits and licenses that could be given to any human being,” he said. “Orientation is not a choice, and whether or not we homosexuals have a choice only destabilizes our means for humanity.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.