The end of 30 Rock: A perfect ending

There isn’t much to say.

510f4aeec6676.image

While watching the series finale of “30 Rock,” all I could do was continually countdown how much time was left. Slowly watching the time run out for one of the wittiest, most intelligent comedies on television, my face was sad. Another show I loved that not enough people watched was over. Another show I lost within the month of January. While averaging three million viewers per week, “30 Rock” was weird and quirky, but the best kind of funny. And now there is nothing left to say other than blerg.

The finale honored faithful viewers like me from the beginning with references to the “Rural Juror” and the montage of clips toward the end. It probably had the most one-liners of any episode, all of which made me chuckle. There is little left to say other than thank you, Tina Fey.

Every critic and viewer knows the intelligence of the creator, writer and star of “30 Rock.” I’m just repeating here when I say she changed comedy, when I say she opened the doors for many comedic women or when I say she is one of a kind.

I’ll miss watching her every week. I’ll miss watching the weird plot lines. I’ll miss watching Alec Baldwin steal every scene. And I’ll miss something I looked forward to every Thursday, because even at its worst “30 Rock” was better than any comedy on television.

Lucky for me though, I don’t have to wait that long for another witty show. I have “Parks and Recreation.” I’ll have the “Arrested Development” stint on Netflix in May. These single camera comedies aren’t necessarily the laugh-out-loud funny you may have received during “Seinfeld” or “Friends,” but they quickly made the joke or situation no one else would think of.

For the remainder of my life I’ll be saying things like “by the hammer of Thor,” “what the what?!” “I want to go to there,” “blerg” and so many more.

But the one liners and extreme plots (Jenna basically marrying herself) wasn’t what made “30 Rock” special.

What made it special was something one cannot put into words. It just worked. For some reason it was a comedy that worked. No one, including Tina Fey, thought it would last seven seasons. But thank goodness it did.

Now all we can do to pass the time is wait for the creative and intelligent comedies “30 Rock” opened the door for. Now we can look forward to more projects from the writers and creator of “30 Rock.” Now we can look forward to seeing Alec Baldwin in more comedies.

But in the meantime, we get to watch the 134 episodes of “30 Rock” in syndication.

And I love it.

Samantha is a senior in Media. She can be reached at kiesel1@illinimedia.com.