ISS: We support SEIU

On Wednesday, in one of the most productive meetings of the Illinois Student Senate this year, we passed 12 resolutions. Among them was a resolution in support of the Service Employees International Union in the contract negotiations with the University. After much deliberation, the Illinois Student Senate, as the student voice, overwhelmingly supported SEIU. We supported them two years ago, and we will continue to do so.

Weeks ago, they authorized a strike here and could do so within the next few days. About 800 of the University’s food and building workers are a part of that union, many of them include the BSWs of residence halls, who clean the hallways and bathrooms, for example. The service workers clean the sidewalks to ensure our paths to buildings are safe.

I’d rather not belabor the point, as there have been past Daily Illini articles covering the situation. I would like to praise ISS for taking a stance on this issue. Initially I, the author of this resolution, made the resolution neutral to gauge the students’ thoughts on the issue. But overall, I’m pleased that we supported the workers which help us throughout our daily lives.

So, this is a message to all members of the SEIU and all University food and service workers: We, the students, support you. Keep up the good fight.

Shao Guo,

vice president-internal and historian of the Illinois Student Senate and junior in ACES