Christie Clinic hosts 5th-annual Illinois Marathon

Christie Clinic hosted the fifth annual Illinois Marathon from Thursday to Saturday. Nick Hird of Naperville, Ill., finished the marathon first out of 1,820 participants with a time of 2 hours, 23 minutes, 56 seconds, according to results compiled by Gault Race Management.

More than 16,000 athletes participated in this year’s events. The 5K race was held Friday night after pre-race events on Thursday and Friday. The wheelchair marathon started at 6:58 a.m. on Saturday, and the marathon, marathon relay and half-marathon races began at 7 a.m. on Saturday. The 10K race started at 7:40 a.m. on Saturday.

“The positive energy and seeing all the other runners allowed me to power through and run the entire thing,” Julia Povilaitis, freshman in Business. “The weather was also really nice.”

Christie Clinic hosted a health and fitness expo, pasta party and speaker series in the two days leading up to the marathon.

Eight of the first 10 who finished the marathon are Illinois residents, and two of them, Jim Turchyn and Micael Lodesky, are Urbana residents.

Ryan Giuliano of Oakwood Hills, Ill., finished the half-marathon race first, with a time of 1:09:22.

The biggest change in security for this year’s marathon was in the bag drop procedure, said Rick Atterberry, public information officer for the Champaign County Emergency Management Agency, earlier this month. Runners were required to use official Illinois Marathon bags supplied to them at registration, which had been issued to participants as an option in the past. Atterberry said participants who put cell phones in their bags would be asked to turn them off.

“I did notice a lot of security throughout the entire run, almost at every mile marker,” Povilaitis said. “Toward the end, I wasn’t paying as much attention to my surroundings. I just wanted to finish the race.” 

Anna Delheimer, senior in Engineering who ran the half-marathon, said she enjoyed the pasta served before the marathon, and stretching before the marathon helped her.

“Overall, it was a great run,” she said in an email. “The weather was beautiful and there was a breeze ... just strong enough to be cooling but not a nuisance when running. I felt great about my run, and running past all the cheering people always makes it fun.”

Sari Lesk contributed to this report. Janelle can be reached at jnodea2@dailyillini.com.

Editor's note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the 10K race was held on Friday night. The 10K race was held Saturday. The Daily Illini regrets this error.