College of LAS dean accepts position at University of Utah

Ruth Watkins, dean of LAS, has accepted the position of senior vice president for academic affairs at the University of Utah, according to a press release from Provost llesanmi Adesida's office.

“I am confident her collaborative leadership style and commitment to providing exceptional educational opportunities will enable her to enjoy continued success here in Utah,” David Pershing, president of the University of Utah, said in a press release.

Watkins will replace Pershing as the senior vice president for academic affairs, who was at the role for 14 years before becoming the president at the University of Utah.

Watkins started at the University in 1993 as an assistant professor for the department of speech and hearing sciences. From 2000-03, Watkins served as the associate dean in the College of Applied Health Sciences. Watkins then served as associate provost, 2003-06, and vice provost, 2006-09, before taking on as the dean of LAS in 2009.

Provost Adesida gave high praise to Watkins for her time here at the University.

“As dean of LAS, she has worked tirelessly to enhance the college's financial strength, to foster excellence in faculty hiring and promotion, to build new blended and online learning opportunities for students, and to identify new sources of revenue to support academic initiatives,” Adesida said in a press release.

“There is no doubt that our institution is a better place because of Ruth's tremendous impact on so many aspects of our missions.”

Watkins’ new role at the University of Utah will be effective August 1, 2013.