Illini Union, Wendy's reach agreement

The Illini Union has reached an agreement with Wendy’s Old Fashioned Hamburgers, which will be replacing Chick-fil-A in the food court.

A contract has not been signed yet, but Scott McCartney, associate director of retail operations at the Union, said he is very confident that the fast food joint will open up its second Campustown restaurant.

Wendy’s returned to campus in early February after a more-than-a-decade long absence.

McCartney said an existing Sixth Street location did not influence his decision on a replacement. Both Campustown locations will be owned by the same franchisee, he said.

lllini Union management announced in late May that they did not renew their contract with Chick-fil-A because it was not in the students’ top-five choices in a survey conducted last year.

Portillo’s, which specializes in Chicago-style food, was students’ No. 1 choice, but the restaurant didn’t have any interest in expanding south at that time, McCartney said.

The Illini Union was also in talks with Culver’s before the restaurant pulled out, leaving management to explore a partnership with Wendy’s.