Smoking ban to take effect by 2014

Beginning January 1, 2014, smokers will have to refrain from lighting up on campus.

The smoking ban was included on a referendum in 2011 where about 70 percent of students voted to eliminate smoking on campus. Following the vote, the plan to implement the ban was left up to the University’s administration. 

Director of the University’s wellness center Michele Guerra said the wellness program has plans to launch a fall communication campaign to help inform students where they can and cannot smoke. There are plans for an online campus map that indicates the areas where smoking will and will not be permitted along with signs that will be put up around campus at the start of the school year. 

The website was implemented to help inform students about the smoking ban. The website contains a recommendation report, which thoroughly explains the different options that the University considered before ultimately deciding to become smoke-free. There is also a form allowing students to submit questions and feedback regarding the University becoming smoke free. 

The current Urbana-Champaign smoking policy states that students are not allowed to smoke inside or within 25 feet of University buildings. The new policy will entirely ban smoking on campus.

If a student who smokes chooses to quit as a result of the new campus policy, there will be a resource made available to them, Guerra said. The Illinois Department of Public Health funds a program called Illinois tobacco Quitline, which offers a tobacco counseling hotline along with Nicotine Replacement Therapy.

Sophia can be reached at