Two incidents of paintball gun attacks reported on campus

Two incidents of paintball gun attacks were reported on campus last week.

The first incident was reported in the 500 block of South Neil Street at 10 p.m. on Oct. 29.

University Police Lt. Matt Myrick said a female victim was shot by the paintball gun near Sherman Hall, 900 S. Fifth St. Her injury was not severe enough to require medical attention.

Michael M. Dunbar, 19, of Champaign; Matthew T. Durham, 18, of Champaign; Amani J. Howard, 18, of Champaign; and Sheldon C. Knox, 19, of Champaign, were issued state of Illinois notices to appear in court to each face a reckless conduct charge.

Myrick said an officer also found paintball guns and accessories for paintball guns in one of the suspect’s cars.

The second paintball incident occurred Thursday.

Stephon J. Bobo, 19, of Champaign; Anthony McClinton, 18, of Champaign; and Justin X. Reed-Williams, 22, of Urbana, were arrested on the charges of mob action and reckless conduct in parking lot A-9, 605 E. Healey St., at around 11 p.m. after an officer pulled over the car they were in for a traffic violation and saw a paintball gun in the vehicle.

After searching the vehicle, an officer found Airsoft guns, BB guns, a paintball gun, a bag of 500 paintballs and other paintball gun accessories.

Champaign Police were also on the scene and notified University Police that they had earlier received a report of a paintball attack.

The suspects in the second incident were later released with no charges filed because there was no identifiable victim, Myrick said.

There may have been more victims in the paintball attacks who did not report the attack to the police, Myrick said. He added that people should be aware of their surroundings and report an attack immediately.