UIC service workers cancel strike - The Daily Illini : Home

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

UIC service workers cancel strike

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 12:00 am | Updated: 4:48 pm, Wed Oct 17, 2012.

Service workers at the University of Illinois at Chicago have decided to cancel the strike planned to begin Aug. 23 after University President Micheal Hogan met with members of the union.

According to a Service Employees International Union Local 73 press release, Hogan met with Union Local 73 President Christine Boardman, Vice President Phil Martini and University Counsel Steve Veazie.

Ben Rothschild, junior in LAS at UIC and member of the Undergraduate-Graduate Alliance, said negotiations had been going on for a while and the vote for intent to strike occurred over the summer.

Service workers at UIC were being replaced with academic professionals, Rothschild said.

"The academic professionals were being paid higher wages and given more vacation days," he said. "The service workers were 95 percent Latino and African-American were being replaced by white or Asian academic professionals."

A state senate hearing at UIC on Aug. 11 investigated labor hiring and found discriminatory hiring practices, Rothschild said.

"They agreed to call off the strike as a good faith measure," Rothschild said. "But there is still concern among members about a fair contract."

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Connect with us