Club celebrates girls who wear hair naturally

It seems that no girl is every fully satisfied with her hair. Girls with naturally straight hair go through bottles of products promising volume and curls.

Those with curls complain about frizz and tame their hair by sliding it through two hot plates. But for one group of girls on campus, natural is the only way they want to be.

SuperNatural is a group new to campus this year that focuses on celebrating hair that is worn in a natural state, without any harsh chemicals. The group provides support for girls who are natural, as in they don’t use any chemical relaxers in their hair, girls who are planning to go natural or who just want to know a little more about it. For Sydney Stoudmire, senior in FAA and president and founder of SuperNatural, the idea to start the club sparked when she first began her transition from relaxed, chemically treated hair to her natural hair texture.

“My entire life I have had chemical relaxers in my hair, which straighten your hair chemically,” Stoudmire said. “They are pretty harmful to your hair. They burn when you put them in, but that’s just something that most African American women from generation to generation do. One day, I just decided that I wanted to see my natural hair. It sounds crazy, but I got my first relaxer at three years old so I’ve never known what my natural hair looks like.”

It was around this time that Stoudmire started noticing that a lot of girls around campus were wearing their hair naturally, and she could not help but wonder if she was alone in not knowing how to style her hair.

“This is the story that a lot of black women have. They don’t know how to style their hair because they grew up with relaxed hair,” she said. “I thought, why not start a group where we can bounce ideas off of each other instead of having to get in front of our computers and try to figure things out on the Internet. We made our debut on Quad Day, and we got a lot of people who were excited about it because they had the same experience I had and had no idea where to start with their hair.”

SuperNatural now meets a few times a month, varying their meeting times and agendas. A few times a semester, they hold events like the Girl’s Night Out event that took place on Feb. 17, where members enjoyed make-overs, hair product samples and a photo shoot. On other nights, the group of girls holds discussions.

“We talk about why we feel the need to relax our hair,” Stoudmire said. “There are a lot of deep rooted issues that are tied to that.”

For Dainya Wesley, sophomore in Media, SuperNatural has provided support and comfort for her during her transition to natural hair texture.

“I stopped getting my last perm last March and then I did the big chop, which means I cut off all of my permed hair, in September,” Wesley said. “It was really short and it was interesting. It is hard to do that on a college campus, especially when the majority of people around you have long hair. The black community is already small on the campus and within the black community, a majority of women have either relaxers, fake hair or hair extensions. It is hard to walk around with your head held high if you have short, natural curly hair.”

SuperNatural has become like a home to Wesley, giving her a place to turn to receive advice on how to handle her hair, as well as support when people question her decision to go natural.

“It’s hard for black women to love themselves and be comfortable with who they are especially in a society where everyone wants to look a certain way,” she said.

SuperNatural is working on expanding the network of people they can reach, and a website is currently in progress. Kim Jones, a sophomore in Business, is one of the members who will be contributing to the success of the website.

“We’re going put up different articles about different styling techniques, different styling tips and the best way to get a certain look that you want in your hair,” Jones said.

One aspect of the website is that these are not tips found all over the Internet but tips coming from girls who are part of the group.

“My article was just my journey from going from a relaxed hairstyle, to almost no hair at all, to where I am now,” Jones said.

The transition has been a trial and error process for Jones, filled with learning new hairstyles and realizing how much versatility there is for natural hair.

“You can braid it, you can twist it, you can straighten it, or you can wear it in a fro,” she said.

Transitioning from chemically treated hair to her natural texture has given Jones a brand new attitude.

“Some people think that people who go natural think they are better than other people or that there is some superiority, but that’s not true,” she said. “It’s just a newfound confidence that you may not have had before. It is a new security within yourself.”