Dish of the Week: Pumpkin Spice Muffins - The Daily Illini : Food & Health

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

Dish of the Week: Pumpkin Spice Muffins

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 9:28 pm, Thu Jun 19, 2014.

There are few seasonal flavors that are loved more than pumpkin during the start of autumn. From Starbucks’ pumpkin spice latte to the classic pumpkin pie, the sweetened veggie has become a staple of fall-time diets and a magnet for coffee shops and bakery windows.

Want to join the harvest craze? Bringing that warm, pumpkin smell to the kitchen doesn’t require buying from the professionals or lugging a Jack-o’-lantern-to-be from Curtis Orchard. From dessert bars to soups and pasta entrees, there are seemingly infinite ways to incorporate pumpkin into a favorite dish, and they all can be done with $2 canned pumpkin from the grocery store.

Here’s a quick and simple pumpkin spice muffin recipe, easy to make to get your pumpkin fix fast. Whether it’s in the early morning with a cup of coffee or late at night as a sweet treat, these can be enjoyed all day (and season) long to help you fall in love with fall (although I doubt you really needed help with that).

Ingredients:

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar

1 cup canned pumpkin

1/2 cup milk

2 eggs

1/4 cup butter, softened

1 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Beat together eggs and milk. Add in all dry ingredients, pumpkin and butter. Mix well until batter is smooth.

3. Bake in paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup about 3/4 full, for 20-25 minutes. Remove when tops are slightly browned.

4. Remove, cool and enjoy!

Sarah is a junior in Media. She can be reached at soenke2@dailyillini.com.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Connect with us