Student experiences vary on Unofficial

As lunchtime comes around, Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day continues and students observe the festivities. While the opinions of the students on campus vary, the visiting students seem to have similar views.

“I think the injury, property damage and sexual assault is just not worth it,” said Nick Gooler, senior in LAS, referring to Unofficial.

“It’s a celebration of life,” Steve Janecek, an alum of North Central College in Naperville.

On the Quad, student patrol continues as more students gather and have begun to enjoy the day by playing games and frisbee. For any working students that wish to take part, their activities have not seemed to differ much from the non-working students spoken to.

“I actually have work today which sucks but we started drinking at 6am anyways,” said Amanda Kazmierczak, freshman in ACES.

However, students who do not know what to expect are being cautious.

“I am a freshman,” said Stacey Jaimes, freshman in LAS. “I don’t know how Unofficial is or how scary it can get, but I am really scared.”

While some students are unsure of what to expect, others just hope that any unsafe actions can be prevented. Kerry Pearson, senior in ACES, said she hopes that students can enjoy the day but remain safe.

“You should only get in trouble if you are a danger to public safety,” said Pearson. “Police presence is necessary, but they shouldn’t try to stop tradition.”

Other students put forth their effort to create a sort of Unofficial Olympics. On Frat Park, students found a large metal hoop about 5 ft in diameter. By taking a sort of cartwheel stance within the hoop, the students are rolling themselves and one another across the park.

“I tried to do the wheel but kept falling out,” said Robin Golembeski, sophomore in LAS, her hands and shirt covered in mud. “We think that, the drunker we get, the faster we’ll go.”

Mae Waleath, senior in AHS, started the day off at 6:50 a.m. making mimosas.

“Now that I’m 21, it’s fantastic,” Waleath said. “I skipped two classes today, and found out I missed quiz. That class drops the lowest quiz grade though, so I don’t think I’ll be in too much trouble.”

She said in comparison to last year, there’s a larger police presence.

“The cops are more intense in trying to scare you, at the same time they’re not going to do what they say they are,” Waleath said.

Tauheed Ali, a junior in LAS, went to all of his classes today.

“I’m under 21, so I’m not going to be drinking today – but I will be celebrating with friends,” said Ali. “I don’t want to get caught with underage drinkers.”

Aris Pierce, an ’07 graduate, came back to campus this year to celebrate.

“I came back for Unofficial in 2008 and 2010. My friends all went here and we all came back, it’s nice to reminisce and see who comes back to celebrate.”

“Comparing today to Unofficial two years ago, I would have to say this year is a lot more relaxed,” Pierce said. ” Not as many people are out, and it’s pretty calm. I think it’s a lot more under control.