Herman voices remorse over admissions, hope for Illinois’ future

On Tuesday morning, the University announced that Chancellor Richard Herman will step down as the Urbana campus’ top administrator, effective Monday. Herman’s role in the University’s admissions controversy had prompted questions about his future as chancellor.

Herman submitted his letter of resignation to the Board of Trustees Chairman Chris Kennedy, who accepted it for consideration by the board. Kennedy said the board will not be appointing an interim chancellor as they continue searching for a permanent replacement for University President B. Joseph White, who announced his resignation Sept. 23.

“Ours is a great institution with its brilliant and hard-working faculty and staff, and its smart and ambitious students, and I plan to continue to contribute to ensuring the bright future of the University of Illinois,” Herman wrote in his letter to the board. “Thank you for the honor to serve the University. I have enjoyed every minute, in fact, every nanosecond.”

According to a press release, the Board of Trustees’ ad hoc committee on University personnel matters will meet Thursday. Kennedy also said the board’s executive committee will meet Friday to discuss the University’s situation.

In a mass email sent to the campus community Tuesday, Herman acknowledged remorse for the events that led to his decision, but also optimism about the future of the University.

“I will not reiterate the complicated and agonizing steps that have brought us to this place, except to say that I regret the circumstances,” he said. “I’m confident that Illinois will be stronger for all that we have learned from the controversy.”

Herman’s contract states that upon leaving his chancellor position, he will remain on staff as a professor of mathematics in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences on indefinite tenure.

However, according to a press release from the University, Herman will serve as a professor in the College of Education with an additional appointment at the University’s Chicago campus in its education department.

Herman’s transition to the College of Education is natural given his service to higher education, said Mary Kalantzis, Dean of the College of Education at the University.

“I think what he’s done in the time that he’s been a chancellor is champion educational reform, from schools right through to higher education and particularly in math, science and technology,” Kalantzis said.

Some members of the Urbana-Champaign Faculty Senate, which voted 98-55 in September for Herman and White to step down, said the announcement was not a surprise.

Jeff Dawson, a member of the senate’s executive committee and a professor in ACES, said he anticipated Herman’s resignation.

“I expected it would happen,” Dawson said. “In these types of cases, the needs of the University outweigh the needs of the individual. Unfortunately, it was necessary for new leadership to rebuild the reputation of the University.”

In a press conference Tuesday afternoon, Interim University President Stanley Ikenberry said Herman’s decision would help the University move beyond the admissions controversy.

“I think the decision by Richard Herman to submit his resignation probably didn’t come as a great surprise,” Ikenberry said. “But, I think it acknowledges that the last several months have been tough, but it also sets the stage now for us to turn the page and start a new chapter and I think that’s what we all look forward to doing.”

After the departure of Former Provost Linda Katehi in May as well as White’s impending resignation at the end of December, Ikenberry said the duties of the chancellor will be carried out by both him and Interim Provost Robert Easter.

Renee Romano, vice chancellor for student affairs, said Herman announced his decision to a group of University deans and vice chancellors Monday afternoon. Romano said without a chancellor or interim chancellor, she will report to the interim president in some instances, but added that leadership will not be an issue because of Ikenberry’s history as a University administrator.

“I don’t think we are going to miss a beat when it comes to leadership, especially since he has experience as president,” she said.

Despite the upheaval in the University’s administration, Ikenberry said the University will not be permanently affected.

“I think we are well-positioned to move forward,” he said.