Resolution regarding GEO passed by U-C Senate

Members of the Urbana-Champaign Senate passed a resolution Monday asking for the Graduate Employees’ Organization and the University administration to act quickly and fairly about continuing wage negotiations.

The resolution was presented by members of the Illinois Student Senate at the meeting held at the Levis Faculty Center, 919 W. Illinois St, in Urbana. This marked the first time a student ever presented a resolution to the senate, said Kara Beach, ISS press secretary and former Illini Media employee.

The resolution passed by voice vote.

According to the resolution, the U–C Senate encourages the University to respect the GEO’s right to strike without retaliation.

“I’m glad that the faculty and student senate have exhibited their commitment to a speedy and productive contract resolution,” said GEO Communications Officer Peter Campbell.

Carey Ash, vice president–internal of ISS and co–author of the resolution, said both sides have valid arguments.

“My colleagues and I offer our resolution to you today not to discern the propriety of a strike, but to advance the best interests of the greater University community,” Ash said, addressing members of the senate before the vote.

Last Wednesday, ISS approved a resolution similar to the one passed by U–C Senate on Monday.

“Today, the student body calls upon you (the senate) to do the same,” Ash said.

He said the passage of the resolution was important to every member of the University, especially in a time of financial crisis and amid the admissions controversy.

“As our University transitions to the new leadership, we need also transition to stability,” he said. “That is what this resolution seeks to do: bring a measure of stability to our campus by calling for an end to the contract negotiation.”

University Interim Provost Robert Easter said he was pleased the U-C Senate passed the resolution.

“It is a good thing for this body,” he added.

Robert Gregg, who is a graduate student, ISS member and U–C Senate member, co–wrote the resolution. He said the passage of the resolution was important.

“The graduate community has concerns about what a strike means, what it entails and what would be the retaliation against those that participate,” Gregg said.

The GEO has worked without a contract since August.