Liquor sales increase for week of Unofficial

As Unofficial Saint Patrick’s Day arrives, some liquor stores have seen increased sales, while others are making less money than they expected.

Discount Liquors, 601 S. Sixth St., Champaign, has not been as profitable as anticipated, said Mohammed Saleh, the store’s owner.

Although this week has been busier than usual, he said, the sales compared to last year’s Unofficial are significantly smaller.

“Last year we sold a huge number of kegs, especially the green kegs,” Saleh said. “This year, it’s about 70 percent down in the kegs.”

Saleh’s comment reflected sales as of Wednesday. He said this may be due to the economy, since he knows of other stores that are having the same problems.

The biggest sales for the week will take place Wednesday through Friday, Saleh said.

Jignesh Panchal, owner of Hometown Pantry, 601 E. Green St., Champaign, said he has noticed the opposite trend than Saleh’s store.

Panchal said Hometown Pantry has seen a spike in keg sales, especially the Miller Lite green kegs.

Panchal said revenue for the week of Unofficial has increased from last year’s, when it might have been lower due to the economic recession.

“This year looks like it’s hopefully getting better,” he said.

If students are looking to spend less money, he suggested Keystone kegs, which the store has on sale this week. Bailey’s Irish Cream is on sale as well, Panchal added, because of the Irish theme of the event.Panchal said he expects the most sales on Friday.

Alex Pastor, senior in LAS, said he will make a trip to a liquor store on Friday to stock up.

Pastor said he typically purchases Natural Light because it is more economical, but he will most likely splurge on Friday.

“I might increase what I buy to Bud Light because it is a holiday,” Pastor said.

He said he wanted to purchase the Miller Lite green keg, in spirit of the holiday, but his apartment complex does not allow kegs. Pastor estimated he and his three roommates would be picking up between six and eight 30-packs of beer for the day, which is much more than they would purchase for a typical weekend.

“I’m definitely expecting to have longer lines at the liquor store,” he said.