Post-Unofficial bar scene: ‘Busier than a regular Saturday night’

With the madness of Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day still lingering in the air, students and visitors overcame their hangovers to make it out to the bars Saturday night.

Although the Unofficial event was officially over, local bar owners and employees said there was no shortage of customers.

Anthony Price, assistant general manager of Geovanti’s Bar and Grill on Green Street said the entire Unofficial weekend was great for business.

“Saturday wasn’t as busy as Friday, but it was definitely steady,” Price said. “Definitely busier than a regular Saturday night.”

Price said the night was not as bad as he thought it would be, but he said he was still glad the weekend was over.

Bar employees such as Price credited the busy night to the fact that visitors were still on campus for the event.

“There were lots of people from out of town,” Price said. “I talked to people from Purdue and Iowa.”

Sara Roashan, a junior in Business who made it out to the bars Friday and Saturday, said it was a different crowd Saturday night.

“Friday, it was more people from out of town,” Roashan said. “Saturday I saw a lot more U of I people.”

On Saturday, the entry age for C-U bars returned to 19 years old.

Some students who were turned away on Unofficial could once again get into the bars.

Dan Kadlec, sophomore in Business, said he stayed away from the bars on Friday but not Saturday.

“I’m not 21, and I knew cops would be everywhere on Friday,” Kadlec said. “I didn’t want to risk it.”

Kadlec said he went to Station 211 on Green Street on Saturday and noticed a younger crowd.

“It wasn’t that busy, but there were definitely a lot of people under 21,” Kadlec said.