Students fight hate crimes with Green Street Hug-In

Students from all walks of life fought back with love during Friday night’s Green Street Hug-In and Day of Silence.

In April 2008, a University student was attacked as he walked down Green Street after he was perceived as being homosexual.

His offenders yelled prejudiced slurs and homophobic comments at the victim, resulting in serious injuries. Students responded to the hate crime not with violence, but with affection.

Students lined the street to give out candy, balloons and flowers, said Bethany Socie, office support specialist of the LGBT resource center.

“They were hugging people in response to the hate that had occurred, and it was a positive way for the students in the community to come together surrounding such a terrible event that had taken place,” Socie said.

After two years of spreading the love, students of the Green Street Hug-In wanted to gain more support and attention.

Socie said they contacted the LGBT resource center to help them plan and provide financial funding. The event is student-organized and student-led.

Their responsibilities included organizing volunteers and petitioning for donations of flowers and candy.

Since 2008, the Hug-In has gained support from all over the area.

Friday’s events consisted of the Hug-In and the Day of Silence, which paid respect to those who have been victimized because of sexual orientation.

During the first half of the event, students and faculty took part in a lunch on the Quad, a “Die-In” on the intersection of Green and Wright Streets. A “Break the Silence” rally followed, along with the final Green Street Hug-In at 10 p.m.

“The Die-In was organized by the high school students, and whenever the intersection at the corner of Wright and Green had the cross walk going, we had a bunch of students lay down in the Quad and the streets to represent those who had gone in the past,” said Casey Blakely, student intern in the LGBT resource center.

“There was a countdown to make sure people didn’t get run over, but they would do it over and over again…. It was pretty cool,” she said.

Blakely said the Green Street Hug-in was open to all students of different creeds, colors and sexual orientations.

Blakely added that she was motivated to join the effort because she is a lesbian herself.

She said she feels everyone should be involved because hate crimes and violence happen too often and should be stopped.

“I’m an openly homosexual male in a small community that is not big on equality for homosexuals, and I just thought this would be a great way to cut down on the hate…. It’s our turn now to take action and make a difference.” said Nate Smith, student at Rantoul Township High School.

There was no lack of love or hugs last Friday. Rather, there was a mass amount of support and acceptance from the campus.

Valerie Rivera, sophomore in LAS, said people can help by simply learning to appreciate everyone else and embrace them for who they are.

“The day’s events made me really happy. I was almost in tears,” Rivera said.