Illinois coaches, area athletes learn from summer camp

Bromley Hall was filled to capacity last week and will continue to be this week. It wasn’t filled with the usual college students, but rather, kids and high school students from all over the state.

University of Illinois athletic camps are in full swing, with both individual and team sessions in basketball, wrestling, soccer and golf.

The most notable of the team camps, boy’s basketball, wrapped up Sunday.

“I think the coaches enjoy this because it’s a little retreat to get the players away,” Illini head coach Bruce Weber said. “It gives them team building, chemistry and allows them to come in and play a lot of games.”

Each team played at least nine games, and the champion Neuqua Valley Wildcats played 12. They won in dominating fashion against Metea Valley High School in the finals of their bracket, which consisted of larger schools.

“You’re bonding and you’re having guys develop skills,” Neuqua Valley head coach Todd Sutton said. “It’s very competitive, so it makes everyone here want to play very hard. The competition is amazing and it’s very good for us.”

Each camp typically last about three or four days, and most athletes are housed at Bromley Hall.

It is there that the kids get their first taste of college life by living in typical housing, which includes dorm food, roommates and staying up late. But during the day, it’s all about playing the sport.

The athletes pack all the major facilities including the Activities and Recreation Center, Campus Recreation Center-East, the Assembly Hall, the Armory and Huff Hall to compete against some of the best in the state to learn and improve in their sports.

The athletes are not the only ones that find the camps beneficial.

“You’re very familiar with them and you know what they do,” Sutton said about possibly playing teams from the camp during the regular basketball season. “You also get to build friendships with the other coaches, and they’re more likely to help you out.”

“There may be an opportunity to recruit here,” Weber said. “But more than anything, it promotes our program throughout the state. It also creates fans and future students. Lots of kids that come to camp end up coming to school here.”

Working at the camps provides current Illini athletes with a good experience as well.

“It brings back all the old memories,” Illinois basketball senior Mike Tisdale said. “A lot of teams from my conference are here, and watching these guys play and talking to coaches is pretty cool.”