Students, faculty speak about sensitivity of religion classes

Religion is often a tricky subject to discuss among people with different views, and one can imagine it easily becomes even trickier when discussed academically. Professor Kenneth Howell’s controversial e-mail and subsequent dismissal from his position as instructor of Catholicism classes in the Department of Religion has some wondering how best to deal with sensitive issues in these kinds of classes.

In the original complaint e-mailed to department head Robert McKim, the student wrote that Howell “allowed little room for any opposition to Catholic dogma.”

In contrast, some of Howell’s other students say that was not the case.

“From the first day of class, Dr. Howell told us that he would be teaching what the Catholic Church holds as the truth, that he himself is a Catholic,” said Emily Plattner, a junior in LAS who took Howell’s Introduction to Catholicism (RLST 127) class last spring.

Cody Chalkey, a sophomore in Business who was also in the class, said before the controversial homosexuality lecture, Howell stressed it did not matter what students believed in.

Howell only wanted his students to understand the concept of Natural Moral Law, Chalkey said.

Valerie Hoffman, associate professor of religious studies who teaches courses on Islamic culture, said controversial topics like homosexuality are occasionally addressed in her classes.

“I don’t always deal with homosexuality in my Introduction to Islam course simply because there are so many other issues that are more central to the study of Islam,” Hoffman said.

Hoffman also said it should be irrelevant whether the professor practices the religion he or she is teaching in a secular institution.

“I believe that the role of adjunct faculty funded by the Church is one of the issues to be investigated by the Senate’s Committee on Academic Freedom and Tenure,” she said.