Red Cross offers tips to stay healthy during flu season

The American Red Cross is offering the following tips to stay healthy this flu season.

Always practice good health habits to maintain your body’s resistance to infection.

• Eat a balanced diet.
  • Drink plenty of fluids.
  • Exercise daily.
  • Manage stress.
  • Get enough rest and sleep.

Take these common sense steps to stop the spread of germs

• Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective when soap and water aren’t available.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way. Try to avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Flu is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing.
  • If you get sick, stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
  • Adopt business/school practices that encourage employees/students to stay home when sick.
  • Get a flu shot every year. Vaccination is one of the most effective ways to minimize illness and death.

According to a press release sent out by the Red Cross, flu viruses spread from person to person when people who are infected cough or sneeze. Adults may be able to infect others 1 day before getting symptoms and as long as 5 days after getting sick.

For more information about the flu and how to avoid it this year, please visit www.redcrossillinois.org/flu-preparedness