Parents express fear about UI security, campus safety

University officials faced concern from students and parents Saturday at a campus safety town hall meeting.

More than 100 people attended the event, as parents were already present at the University for Dad’s Weekend. The forum in the Courtyard Cafe of the Illini Union served as a chance for parents to address the issues of campus safety, including a trend of individuals walking alone being assaulted, the “peeping tom” incidents and the most recent case of sexual abuse in a Forbes Hall shower stall.

“It really concerned me that somebody was freely able to go, not into the building, but able to leisurely take himself up to the fourth floor,” said Hadieh Hasan, mother of a student living on the fourth floor of Forbes Hall. “Really, that is (the students’) home. That’s their lives; they should have the free will and the trust among them to be able to go in and out of these facilities safely.”

University Chief of Police Barbara O’Connor presented data regarding the department’s responses to the crime trends. O’Connor said police hired three more officers and the University is using student patrols to help ensure a safe atmosphere around the campus.

However, the hiring of these officers was earlier this year and not a direct result of the recent campus crimes. These officers will not be able to patrol alone this semester.

O’Connor also said 25 arrests have been made in connection to the string of assaults in the area of Champaign west of Wright Street.

But when asked what conclusions have been reached in regards for the motives of these attacks, O’Connor said investigations of the suspects has not yielded any useful information in preventing similar crime.

Meanwhile, Director of Housing Jack Collins said the recent 24-hour lockup of dorms on campus would continue until at least the end of the semester.

This lockup may require residents to swipe their cards twice before they can enter the living spaces, but one parent noted that in some dormitory residences of Ikenberry Commons, guests can use the elevators to access living spaces without swiping a second time.

The issue of having multiple entrances to residence halls, as opposed to a front desk where residents must display identification and sign guests in, was one raised at the forum.

More direct action will be taken, however, as administrators plan to use more student desk clerks. These students will also patrol the halls during daytime hours.

In addition, officials plan to install locks in all residence hall bathrooms, despite the fact that bathroom locks, such as those in Hopkins Hall placed in response to peeping tom incidents, were already disabled by residents.

“I’m going to hope by the end of this coming week, we will have locks on all the bathroom doors. We’ve had staff work overtime to continue this implementation,” Collins said. “My priority is safety, not convenience.”

Also in the works are plans to install security cameras on building exteriors “as soon as possible.” Cameras will first be put in at Ikenberry, Lincoln Avenue, and Allen residence halls.

Collins said these changes will not be affected by the school’s financial issues.

“I can tell you for University Housing the cost issue is not on the table. We will do whatever we need to do and find a way to fund it,” Collins said, also addressing the concerns of rising costs of on-campus living. “What we are planning to do will not affect the rates for next year.”

O’Connor also mentioned the two self-defense classes offered on campus. But according to student demand, there are not enough spaces in the courses. Attendees also recommended that the University do more to educate and empower students.

“You’ll never have enough security. We’ll never be perfectly safe, but empower us,” said Brian Payne, graduate student.