Board of Trustees projected to pass administration reform despite faculty reproval

The University administration could have a new look once the Board of Trustees adjourns Thursday on the Chicago campus.

The board is scheduled to vote on proposals that would establish a vice president of health affairs and add “vice president” to each of the campus chancellor’s titles.

They would also change the title of vice president for technology and economic development to vice president for research, a suggestion of the Springfield campus senate, which would have been vice president of research, technology and economic development if the original draft of went unamended.

Trustee Lawrence Oliver said the administrative restructuring has a “decent” chance of passing Thursday.

“I know in general there’s a lot of support from the board to the president and we’ve kind of been made aware of this restructuring for quite some time so I don’t sense that it’s going to be a problem passing,” Oliver said.

He added that the advice of the campus senates is “vital” to the board’s decision.

University spokesman Tom Hardy said if the proposals pass, the implementation process will begin immediately.

According to the proposals, one of the main reasons for the changes is to increase the effectiveness of the president.

“The effectiveness of the president was diminished in large part because the institution lacked a clear line of administrative authority,” Hardy said. “In the past there was some confusion sometimes and lack of clarity that the chancellor reports to the president. This will make that clear by changing the titles and incorporating it in the University statutes and the general rules.”

The Urbana-Champaign senate rejected the proposals in their original form, citing too many unanswered questions and diminished independence among the campuses as reasoning.

Urbana student trustee Daniel Soso said he agreed “100 percent” with the U-C senate’s recommendation, but he would “be surprised if it doesn’t pass.”

He added that he has not yet decided which way he will cast his vote and hopes to have a better idea by Wednesday after devoting additional time to reviewing the senates recommendations. Soso was selected by Governor Pat Quinn in September to be the student trustee with a binding vote.

The Chicago campus recommended that the board postpone its decision until March.

Oliver said he personally feels that enough time was allotted for review of the proposals and feels the board is ready to make a decision.

“I think enough time has been devoted to consideration of it,” he said. “All the view points have been presented, have been weighed, and I personally think it’s right for a decision.”