Students plan for Solar Decathlon contest

Plans are in the works for the University’s 2011 submission in the Solar Decathlon competition — a solar-powered home currently dubbed the “Re_Home.”

As part of assessing what kind of progress needs to be made on the Re_Home, students from YouthBuild McLean County will visit the University’s 2009 Solar Decathlon house, the Gable Home, for the second time Thursday.

YouthBuild is an organization that helps provide those between the ages 17 to 24 with job training as well as affordable housing. They also help to build houses for underprivileged families in their community.

YouthBuild’s visit will consist of both a review of the Gable Home and a judgment of where 2011’s Re_Home stands in terms of development and functionality. Construction on the Re_Home will begin in February.

Students currently working on the Re_Home make up the Solar Decathlon team that represents the University in the biennial Department of Energy’s Solar Decathlon held in Washington, D.C.

Teams from over 20 universities across the globe are eligible to design, build and submit their solar-powered homes to be judged at the competition.

The University’s team is led by Beth Newman as its student project manager. This year’s model has been dubbed the Re_Home, named so because of its ability to be rapidly assembled should disaster strike. In addition to being easily reassembled, the home is powered purely by solar energy.

Newman said she is excited about the new model.

“We’re really optimistic about it. The competition is a little different this year. They added an affordability option to the competition,” she said. “We’re marketing to tornado-relief families in Illinois, so the house will be affordable and easy to assemble.”

Germany got the best of the University’s team at last year’s competition, when affordability was not a factor. But the University’s team looks to capitalize in on the new category, Newman said.

“We’re trying to stay optimistic. We have a lot to live up to from getting second last year. We’re really excited for the affordability category, because Germany took first last year with a really expensive house,” she said. “Had that been in place last year, we would have been number one. We have a really good group of people this year.”

Not only is this house more efficient than last year’s model, but it is also more functional, added Carolyn Mesha, another student manager of the project.

“This (year’s) house must be easily transportable and fairly adaptable for different family situations. The 2011 house is also much larger than the 2009 house (around 900 square feet versus 560 square feet),” she said.

The team says they are looking to improve on last year’s impressive placing with a first place in 2011’s competition.