Gay community, allies had busy year of activism in C-U

Whether it was to get out the vote locally or honor victims of a sad, national trend, members of the University’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community and its allies had a busy year.

Editors note: This article is part of The Daily Illini’s semester in review edition. These articles are meant to round-up the most important news of the Fall 2010 semester.

Kicking off their season of political and social activism, the LGBT community celebrated National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11. Support groups such as PRIDE, BI-PRIDE and the Women’s Resource Center helped the LGBT Resource Center have a continual presence on the Quad that Monday in order to campaign for equal rights and acceptance of gay students.

The annual event had significant added weight this year according to event organizers, because of the highly publicized string of gay suicides on college and high school campuses across the country this fall.

To remember those who had taken their lives, LGBT members and their allies held a candlelight vigil by the Alma Mater on Oct. 20.

“There’s a lot of bullying going on, and some people think it’s harmless. Words are powerful and they can hurt. They can attack,” said Leslie Morrow, director of the LGBT Resource Center.

Students at the event said they hoped their actions, along with similar vigils nationwide, would help usher in a new found acceptance of young gay individuals.

“Hopefully it promotes a call to action,” said Kevin Ng, sophomore in AHS. “I had to honor those who committed suicide.”

And while the gay community sought social change, they also made efforts to influence local, state and national politics and policies. On Oct. 26, the LGBT community and its supporters staged a rally to encourage political activism at the Canopy Club.

“I think there is some resentment within the LGBT community towards the government,” said Nathan Fredrickson, graduate student. “I realize there may be more important things to deal with, like the economy and wars, but it’s frustrating when we get all stirred up with hope when nothing really happens, like with the ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ repeal being overturned. But I believe we should still keep working even though things are disappointing.”

LGBT issues were of great political concern, particularly in the race for Illinois Governor. Whereas Republican candidate Bill Brady supported constitutional amendments banning gay marriage, Gov. Pat Quinn — the eventual winner — supported, and eventually signed into law, a bill legalizing civil unions.