Champaign Mayor issues Emergency Order, announces Unofficial plans

Champaign Mayor and Liquor Commissioner Gerald Schweighart has announced the city’s preliminary Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day plans for Friday, March 4. The UI will once again invoke it’s “no tolerance” policy, and will work with Champaign, Urbana and University Police to “keep the peace,” Schweighart said in a press release. The Champaign Fire Department will be inspecting liquor-licensed facilities for overcrowding, and Schweighart has issued – under an emergency order – these regulations for the sale of alcohol in licensed liquor establishments:

• Bars and package liquor stores in the campus area may not serve or sell alcohol prior to 11 a.m. on Friday, March 4.
  • Bars may not host any private functions that result in special drink pricing or other privileges on premise from 11:00 a.m. Friday, March 4 until 2:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 5.
  • Bars may not serve pitchers of alcohol or shots of undiluted alcohol and all drinks must be served in paper or plastic cups on March 4.
  • Patron entry age for all bars in the campus area will be 21 years or older between 11:00 a.m. on Friday, March 4 until 2:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 5.
  • All campus bars must have a doorman, aged 21 or older, present and checking ID’s at all entrances during the hours of operation.
  • The Mayor’s Office will not be issuing any keg permits for parties, making it illegal to possess more than 1 keg per residence during this event.
  • For establishments licensed to sell package liquor, an Adult Responsibility Form must be completed by the purchaser and kept on file prior to the sale of the following quantities of alcohol: 168 or more 12 ounce containers of beer or malt beverage; 24 or more 1 liter of distilled spirits; and/or one keg.