UI police chief addresses Illini-Alert sent in error

An Illini-Alert template mistakenly alerting recipients of an “active shooter” in the area Thursday morning was the result of human error.

University Chief of Police Barbara O’Connor said in a mass mail to students this afternoon that a person had pushed the “submit” button instead of pushing the “save” button to update the pre-scripted message. As a result, an incorrect alert was sent to 87,000 e-mail addresses and cell phones that were subscribed to the system.

O’Connor said her department is working with the provider of the Illini-Alert service to implement additional security features in the program to prevent this type of error.

The alert messages generally leave the sending server within two minutes. This design, which O’Connor said is essential for emergency communications, prevents the cancellation of erroneous alerts after they are sent.

O’Connor said she’s charging the campus emergency planning office with reviewing and documenting the incident, and they are reviewing comments and implementing “reasonable and appropriate ideas or suggestions.”

The original e-mail and text message, sent around 10:40 a.m., stated: “Active shooter at BUILDING NAME/INTERSECTION. Escape area if safe to do so or shield/secure your location.”

Approximately 15 minutes later, another Illini-Alert was sent. It said the previous message was sent in error, and everything was clear.

O’Connor also mentioned that the emergency system is dependent on cell phone providers to deliver the text message, which is why administrators use multiple communication systems (including e-mails and web alerts) to relay information.