SEIU protest for fair contract, will vote to authorize strike later this month - The Daily Illini : Campus

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

SEIU protest for fair contract, will vote to authorize strike later this month

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 1:04 am, Thu Jul 18, 2013.

The Service Employees International Union Local 73 gathered at Oak Street and Kirby Avenue on Wednesday to protest for fair contracts. 

The union, also known as SEIU, has been negotiating with the University to create a fair contract since May of last year.

Ricky Baldwin, senior field organizer for SEIU, said the picket session was held to voice the group’s concerns. 

At the picket sessions held at 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., employees held up signs with phrases such as “honk if you want clean toilets” and “work with justice.”

Thomas Haley, a building service worker for five and a half years, said he feels like he is helping change the working conditions for him and his colleagues.  

“I think it’s great that we have the platform to be able to come out and make our voices heard to the University,” he said. “If we didn’t have a union, we would just be at their mercy.”

Haley said he is hoping to see some increases in the campus wages to support his cost of living.

“I would like to get all of our bargaining unit fair and decent wages,” he said. “We can’t go another year or more without a raise. With the cost of living and everything just going through the roof, our membership over the past few years has received only one raise.” 

Depending on the progress of the negotiation, there is a chance for the union to go on strike. A vote to authorize a strike will take place Jan. 24-25. 

“We’ve been negotiating for eight months and we just haven’t seen any satisfactory progress from the University,” Baldwin said. “All of the big (and) real important issues with the University isn’t merging at all.”

Campus spokeswoman Robin Kaler said the University is putting a lot of effort into finding a mid-point with the union.

“The University has been negotiating in good faith with the union in an effort to understand and fully address any concerns or proposals that the union has raised regarding working conditions,” Kaler said in an email Wednesday.

However, Baldwin said the important issues include asking employees to work on short notice.

“We made some progress on some relatively minor adjustments in the contract,” he said. “But someone just walked in from human resources and informed them shortly before Thanksgiving ‘by the way, you don’t get Thanksgiving holiday this year and Christmas holiday’ and so on.”

Baldwin also said union workers deserve more campus wage increases than they are currently receiving.

“It is true that the state has given the University less money every year,” he said. “However, the University has found other sources of income...the overall budget of the University has been increasing every year right through the worst years of the recession.”

Carina can be reached at lee713@dailyillini.com.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

3 comments:

• timmytao posted at 11:41 am on Wed, Jan 23, 2013.

timmytao Posts: 4

hey jeff, the takers would be the administration in this situation, i dont think its unreasonable that BSW's and FSW's deserve a fair wage, because guess what, alot of our people are just scraping by, pay check to pay check. Get a clue.

and to munchma, thank you....my beard is quite epic

• Munchma Quchi posted at 10:01 pm on Thu, Jan 17, 2013.

Munchma Quchi Posts: 16

[cool] That protestor has one glorious neckbeard.

• Jeff Price posted at 12:00 pm on Thu, Jan 17, 2013.

Jeff Price Posts: 50

Let the dummys strike! Why the hell do they desire one penny more than the rest of us trying to scrap by?

It's time to separate the takers from the makers and these people are ungrateful TAKERS!

Police Blotter