Wise responds to student backlash - The Daily Illini : Campus

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

Wise responds to student backlash

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:39 pm | Updated: 5:24 pm, Thu Jan 30, 2014.

Chancellor Phyllis Wise in an Inside Higher Ed blog post Thursday said she was disturbed by the attacks following her announcement that the University would hold classes Monday.

“Making an unpopular decision and accepting the ensuing criticism is part of the job of a university leader,” Wise said in the article. “People have asked me whether the attacks disturbed me. Yes.”

Wise also said, “What was most disturbing was witnessing social media drive a discussion quickly into the abyss of hateful comments and even threats of violence.”

Wise was the subject of Twitter backlash Sunday night into Monday by hundreds of students, some whose remarks were sexist or racist.

She said she worries that social media attacks could be used to target students and faculty just as she was.

“Of all places, a university should be home to diverse ideas and differing perspectives, where robust – and even intense – debate and disagreement are welcomed,” Wise said. “On Monday, Jan. 27, we held classes, as usual, at the University of Illinois. And, I hope, we all learned something.”

Student Body President Damani Bolden, along with other campus leaders, will hold a Campus Conversation in Civility conversation next Tuesday at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts to discuss what happened. Wise will be in attendance for the discussion, campus spokeswoman Robin Kaler said.

“We see it as an opportunity to provide the entire campus community to come together in response to what happen,” said Bolden, who issued a formal apology to Wise in a mass email to the campus Tuesday.

“The chancellor is human; Chancellor Wise has feelings; she’s a valued member on the campus community,” Bolden said. “As a human being, she deserved an apology.”

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

1 comment:

• Rwang40 posted at 12:03 pm on Tue, Feb 4, 2014.

Rwang40 Posts: 1

Dear Editor,

From recent events, the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign has been perceived the students of the university to be racist and sexist. However, I find that unfair to those who have not participated in the uprising of the Buzz feed on Chancellor Phyllis Wise. In Chancellor Phyllis Wise’s interview, I strongly agree that “of all places, a university should be home to diverse ideas and differing perspectives, where robust- and even intense- debate and disagreement are welcomed.” At the age of college students, we should be more mature than what had occurred on the day of school on the cold winter day. In Phyllis Wise’s defense, she may have kept school open because she believed that the weather would not be as terrifying as estimated by meteorologists and that mature adults such as ourselves would be able to withstand the chill. Wise’s decision was probably also because she wanted students to learn for the better of themselves and not waste a school day if not necessary. From your letter, I agree with the decisions of Student Body President Damani Bolden of holding a campus conversation about this situation. College should be consisted of not only ethical diversity but also in ideas and opinions.

Sincerely,

Rex Wang

Police Blotter