Illinois Marathon in ‘dire need’ of volunteers

The Champaign Police Department and Christie Clinic are in “dire need” of many volunteers to be road guards for the Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon on May 1, according to Mike Lindemann, co-director of the marathon.

At a press conference Friday afternoon, Lindemann said they need about 70 to 80 volunteers to join the course team for the race. Otherwise, the Illinois marathon could be called off.

“The race can’t happen unless we have that, and it’s very important that we get those (volunteers),” Lindemann said. “We’re just asking for the community to step up and give us a hand with everything.”

Jan Seely, co-director of the marathon, said up until Monday, the number of volunteers were “in good shape.” But unexpected cancellations in the last two days led marathon operators to ask the community for assistance.

Sgt. Scott Friedlein of the Champaign Police Department said it’s important to have all the intersections in the race covered by law enforcement patrols or volunteers.

“We’ve got 14,000, maybe more, people who will be in town for the event and with that number of participants, the safety of them is critical,” Friedlein said.

Volunteers in the course team will be responsible for making sure traffic doesn’t interfere with the runners’ path. Freidlein said the marathon needs two volunteers stationed at each of the 291 intersections that are part of the race. He said the marathon requires about 500 road guards in total.

The 60 to 65 police officers that are involved with the event will be stationed at the busiest intersections, while volunteers will cover the ones that aren’t as busy.

“The volunteers should not be fearful that this is something that’s going to put them in harm’s way,” Friedlein said. “We are trying to make this as safe for everyone as possible.”