Champaign City Council dissolves Liquor Commission

Champaign City Council members voted unanimously in favor of an ordinance removing the city’s Liquor Advisory Commission from the city’s administration at their meeting on Tuesday night.

While the ordinance passed unanimously, there was some discussion before it went up for vote.

Council member Deborah Feinen said she got a call on the way to the meeting from someone who asked if it was possible for such a commission to continue but only meet once or twice a year.

Mayor Gerald Schweighart said the city will continue to correspond with liquor license holders, only without a specified liquor license commission.

“I just would like to state that I do appreciate their service to the city, and it’s just reached a time when I think we can safely close this without a negative effect,” Schweighart said.

The commission was composed of nine members, including representation from the Illinois Student Senate, the University’s administration and liquor license holders in the Campustown area.

Later in the meeting, some members of the community showed their support of a resolution that allows the Don Moyers Boys & Girls Club to use some city-owned land at 301 N. First St. in order to create a community garden.

Champaign resident Lynn Stuckey said she was “very supportive” of the measure, which passed unanimously, 8-0.

“Gardening, unfortunately, I think has become a bit of a lost art,” she said before the vote.

“And what I hope that we can do, possibly next year, is bring in somebody from Extension, or somebody from the U of I, and not only teach these kids how to grow some food but how to preserve it, how to freeze it, how to can it, so that they don’t have to go to the grocery store all the time in the winter.”