Dreamscape Cinema brings feature films to rural Illinois

The heart of a college town in the middle of rural Illinois may not seem like a place someone could stumble upon a movie studio. However, that is exactly where you can find Dreamscape Cinema.

Formed in 2001 by Robin Christian, Dreamscape Cinema has made five feature-length films in the Champaign area to date that contain stars such as Ed Asner (“Up” and “Elf”) and Judge Reinhold (“Fast Times at Ridgemont High” and “Beverley Hills Cop”).

In a town that has a University without a filmmaking department, Christian created a company that not only provides an exciting opportunity for students to work in making a professional feature-length film, but also allows the community to have stories and films created in their own backyard.

That is exactly what Christian likes to do.

“I’m trying to be mini-Hollywood,” Christian said. “I think Champaign has such a great integrity. Most people around here have great values. I grew up here and I know that personally. New York and L.A. have all sorts of excitement. I get excitement just making movies that I get to write and have my own vision with.”

Christian began in an ad agency that worked on making commercials for companies like Boeing and websites for NASA. Growing up with a passion for film and filmmaking, Christian decided he wanted to go back to what he always dreamed of doing: making his own films.

For Christian, there isn’t a better place to make film then in Champaign.

“I get locations and help from people in the community all the time. In L.A. or Chicago, it’s ‘permit city,’” Christian said. “Here, I can bring in crew and help from out of town and have student interns from the school that want to learn about filmmaking. Champaign is a fantastic place to work.”

Dreamscape is busy at work again this summer, as it is in preparation to start filming a new feature titled “My Dog the Space Traveler.” There were auditions for the film recently and Christian is excited to get his cast assembled with a crew and begin filming.

“It’s a boy-and-his-dog movie with strong morals for everyone,” Christian said. “It should be a fun movie that a whole family can watch together.”

Johnny Robinson, founder of Champaign Movie Makers and employee of Dreamscape Cinema since December, has a strong feeling for the community and Christian as well.

“It’s interesting because there is a level of frustration in Champaign-Urbana because there are a lot of students in the Cinema Studies Department, but there (are) no classes that work on film production,” Robinson said. “When Robin started working with students on films he started to fill that gap.”

“There are a lot of people in this area who want to make creative films but can’t, and Robin makes that dream seem very possible,” Robinson added. “How many towns in the middle of nowhere have someone creating feature films with big name actors that are being distributed through commercial outlets? It is very rare, but Robin has found a way to do it.”

Cinema Studies Professor Richard Leskosky sees Dreamscape as an asset to the community.

“Dreamscape has made feature films in a small community,” Leskosky said. “And the work on these films for students and Champaign-Urbana is a great teaching tool.”

Dreamscape Cinema plans to start filming very soon on “My Dog the Space Traveler.”