Republican Lt. Governor candidate visits Champaign

Republican Lt. Governor candidate Jason Plummer was in Champaign this morning, speaking to Champaign republicans about his campaign.

Plummer is running with Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Brady, and he said it’s time for the Democratic leadership to move over.

“We’re up in the polls, but we’re running like we’re down five points,” said Plummer.

He told residents that it was important they spread the word about the election.

“We’ve got to maximize our margins in every area,” Plummer said.

He said that Democrats have been in power since 2003, and there have only been losses in the job sector. Plummer said more taxes are not going to help the job market.

“The state government hasn’t learned to live within its means,” he said.

Plummer said that there needs be a 10% cut in the Illinois state budget.

He added that there are many costs the government is hurdling that may be fraudulent expenses.

The Lt. Governor candidate said he wants to cut Medicaid, pensions, and duplicity across state government.

Plummer said that spending a million dollars on sugar cookies for prisoners is an example of another place where expenses need to be cut.

He also said that Illinois needs to focus on bringing business back to the state. Plummer said there is little incentive for businesses to start or continue in Illinois.

“The private sector has been cannibalized,” Plummer said.

He added that workers compensation rates in Illinois are twice those of other states.

Plummer said his focus was going to be jobs, and how to get people and businesses to stay in Illinois.

He said that if the Republicans take leadership, the state can expect to see around $3 billion in cuts.

“He’s from the private sector, he knows how to make payroll,” said Shannon Coughlin, events coordinator for Plummer’s campaign.

Plummer said that Illinois’s largest export after agricultural products is college graduates. He added the state needs to create an environment where people are willing to invest and start businesses. He added that if college graduates continue to leave the state, there would be a pretty bleak future ahead.

Plummer said he thinks the outlook for other Republican candidates is looking good.

“I have no doubt in my mind that Mark Kirk is going to win,” he said.

Champaign County Republicans Treasurer, Habeeb G. Habeeb, said he hopes this is a landslide year for Republicans.

“I affirm what he said about Mark Kirk but because no matter what I do I am not going to vote for a crook,” said Habeeb.

Habeeb praised Plummer, and said he hopes that one day his own son will be able to speak as eloquently as him.

“We love Illinois, and we love a winner,” he said.