YMCA rolls out newly renovated facilities

To commemorate the recent renovations the University YMCA’s 72-year-old building has undergone in the past several months, staff, community donors and local politicians held a grand reopening on Thursday with a ceremonial ribbon cutting.

Just having completed phase one of a three phase project, the YMCA, located on 1001 S. Wright St., hopes that these renovations will allow them to become a more integral part of the University, said Rebecca Guyette, YMCA director of development.

While much of the building has maintained its look, there have been major changes. Along with doing things like removing all traces of asbestos and replacing old flooring and ceiling tiles, the YMCA has made great strides to become more accessible to the disabled community.

Renovations included the addition of an elevator, which was a major part of the renovation plans, and making more of their bathrooms compliant with the Americans Disabilities Act (ADA). But unexpected problems did arise when they found they would also need to put in a new stairwell to go with the elevator, adding to their already increasing estimated expenses.

During the ceremony, YMCA executive director Mike Doyle was sure to thank many of the donors who increased their donations after hearing about the need for more funds.

Along with becoming increasingly accessible, the YMCA has also attempted to go green in a sense. By avoiding the use of toxic materials, implementing water conversation techniques and increasing energy efficiency, the YMCA hopes to become an example of new age sustainability, Guyette said.

University students played a pivotal part in the renovations the YMCA underwent and will provide even more ideas on how to improve the facility in the future. The YMCA partnered with the University to create a course for credit (ENG 315), which is part of the Learning in Community program, so that students can put ideas in action, such as a rain garden or a green roof, according to materials passed around at the ribbon cutting.

Art @ the Y is a new program set in the newly remodeled Murphy Lounge which the YMCA hopes will add to its depth and reach a wider audience.

The remaining renovation phases planned for the YMCA include plans to make all their bathrooms ADA compliant, create more office space, and also create more space for students to utilize in a causal setting.

According to Guyette, besides the apparent goals of increased accessibility and sustainability, the YMCA hopes to create a more open and inviting atmosphere for all types of students.