Champaign police investigate accidental shooting - The Daily Illini : Champaign-Urbana

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

Champaign police investigate accidental shooting

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 8:59 pm | Updated: 9:57 am, Fri Jul 19, 2013.

Champaign police are investigating a fatal shooting that occurred early Friday morning at a Super 8 Motel, located at 202 W. Marketview Drive.

According to a release from the Champaign Police Department, officers interviewed both the victim and the suspect after responding to Carle Hospital for a report of a shooting. Preliminary information provided to police indicated 20-year-old Champaign resident Antonio Brown accidentally shot Indiana resident Sydni Kay Blackwell, his 20-year-old girlfriend.

Blackwell was wounded at the Super 8 Motel at 3:01 a.m. after Brown accidentally discharged a round while improperly handling a gun. Blackwell died at 12:45 p.m. at Carle Hospital.

Brown was arrested on the charge of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and aggravated discharge of a firearm after officers recovered the gun used in the shooting. He is currently being held at the Champaign County Jail.

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Police Blotter