Democrat David Gill concedes 13th District congressional race to Republican Rodney Davis - The Daily Illini : Champaign-Urbana

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

Democrat David Gill concedes 13th District congressional race to Republican Rodney Davis

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, November 9, 2012 5:22 pm | Updated: 6:10 pm, Fri Nov 9, 2012.

Democrat David Gill conceded the Illinois' 13th District congressional race Friday evening, several days after a close victory was called for Republican candidate Rodney Davis. 

"It has become clear to me, based on the numbers I've seen, that there are simply not enough uncounted ballots remaining to wipe out the current 1,287 vote deficit I face in this election," Gill said in a press release. 

The final tally of the vote had Davis receiving 136,596 votes, versus 135,309 for Gill. The narrow difference between the votes, 46.60 percent for Davis and 46.16 percent for Gill, was the reason for Gill's review of all county polls, he said in the press release. Independent candidate John Hartman received 21,241 votes, or 7 percent.

Gill's concession brings to end a highly contested race funneled in over $7 million from outside interest groups and political action committees. Leading those numbers was the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which gave $2.76 million for advertisements opposing Davis. The conservative group American Action Network Inc. had spent about $1.48 million on advertisements opposing Gill.

Davis announced his victory on the night of the election, thanking his family for their support.

“I love you all very much,” he said. “You’re the reason I ran for this office, you’re the reason I’m going to Washington, D.C. to make some of the tough decisions that need to be made.”

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Police Blotter