Mild December weather saves Champaign money - The Daily Illini : Champaign-Urbana

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

Mild December weather saves Champaign money

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 12:00 am

This year was the warmest Champaign-Urbana has ever seen, according to the Illinois State Water Survey.

The average temperature for 2012 was 55.7 degrees, up from 2011’s 53.1 degrees.

There was also less snow than was predicted, said Kris Koester, public information officer for the Champaign public works department.

“The snow started much later than normal,” he said, “We usually get our first snow by Dec. 7; this year it wasn’t until the 20th.”

Scientists say even with global warming, natural and local weather changes mean that temperatures will go up and down over the years. But overall, temperatures are climbing. In the United States, the temperature trend has gone up 1.3 degrees over the last century, according to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration data.

Koester also mentioned that the lack of snowfall saved the city money by reducing the need for labor, fuel costs and salt.

There were, however, some high winds to be paired with the cold.

“Although we had low accumulation of snowfall, the wind was casing us some additional issues,” Koester said. “We had a downed stoplight and a downed tree and a downed fence in a few areas.”

All of those issues have since been fixed, but Koester advises being careful because there could be more winter weather still ahead.

“It’s still so early on that we could get a lot more,” he said. “We would encourage people to pay attention to the weather and be safe if they are out traveling and walking in the event that there is snow.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report. Maddie can be reached at rehayem2@dailyillini.com.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Police Blotter