Mahomet woman found dead in trailer - The Daily Illini : Champaign-Urbana

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

Mahomet woman found dead in trailer

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:00 am | Updated: 9:33 am, Fri Oct 19, 2012.

23-year-old Mahomet resident Hannah Prospal was pronounced dead this morning at 7:05 a.m. after police found her body in the trailer of 34-year-old acquaintance Steven Killam's trailer. Police and fire departments were called to Killam's trailer on the property of Carpet Master Carpet One at 1040 W. Bloomington Road in Champaign at 6:19 a.m.

Police took Killam into custody for questioning, where he was then charged with obstructing justice. Killam allegedly removed evidence from the scene that could have shown Prospal's cause of death.

Police then obtained a search warrant for Killam's trailer. After searching, Detective Sergeant David Griffet confirmed that Prospal's cause of death remains unknown.

"Due to Hannah’s age, and the circumstance surrounding her death, we felt that a complete and thorough investigation was warranted,” Griffet said.

According to Champaign County coroner Duane Northrup, Prospal's toxicology study will be returned in two to three weeks. After reviewing the results, her final autopsy will be confirmed.

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Police Blotter