Federal appeals court strikes down concealed carry ban - The Daily Illini : U.S.

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

Federal appeals court strikes down concealed carry ban

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:03 pm | Updated: 12:08 pm, Tue Dec 11, 2012.

CHICAGO — A federal appeals court has struck down a ban on carrying concealed weapons in Illinois — the only state where carrying concealed weapons is entirely illegal.

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals announced Tuesday that state lawmakers have 180 days to write a new law that legalizes concealed carry.

The ruling is a victory for gun rights advocates, who argue that the prohibition against concealed weapons violates the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment and what they see as Americans' right to carry guns for self-defense.

Attorney General Lisa Madigan's office says it is reviewing the ruling and would comment Tuesday.

The ruling stems from a lawsuit filed by former corrections officer Michael Moore of Champaign, farmer Charles Hooks of Percy in southeastern Illinois and the Bellevue, Wash.-based Second Amendment Foundation.

© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

1 comment:

• Sandstorm2003 posted at 10:47 am on Mon, Dec 17, 2012.

Sandstorm2003 Posts: 1

It is time for a National Concealed carry law to be approved, criminals should not be the only people armed!