Now that LEX is gone, Suburban Express needs to step up transportation services - The Daily Illini : Columns

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

Now that LEX is gone, Suburban Express needs to step up transportation services

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 9:55 pm

LEX is dead. Long live Suburban Express.

That’s right: Our resident horror-story bus service is officially gone. Last Friday, Lincolnland Express was ordered to “shut down its operation” because of its failure to address the “unsatisfactory” rating given by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on Oct. 23. Regardless of the company being shut down permanently, our not-so-friendly neighborhood transportation service is in trouble.

I can’t say that I wept furiously when I heard the news. And I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who didn’t feel a sense of impending sorrow. Over the past four years that I’ve been at the University, LEX committed a myriad of transgressions, including false record-reporting, slow bus repairs and generally being a pain in the butt. Whenever I’ve taken LEX, I’ve been fine (sans the time it got me home 15 minutes late for dinner), but I’m in the small minority of my friends, who have endured broken-down buses and last-minute canceled trips.

My concern isn’t that LEX is gone and that people will miss its services. My concern is that now the only bus services that will get us suburban kids home is Peoria Charter — and Suburban Express.

Let’s face it: Suburban Express has been passing. They’ve been passing out anti-LEX materials and Suburban Express coupons to students waiting for LEX. Until recently, they’ve had a wall of shame on their website pointing at all of LEX’s failures. And even now that LEX is gone, they still pay homage on their site: They announce that LEX is gone via their “So Long, LEX” link. 

I’m happy for them, I guess. I’m also worried that they will turn this into a monopoly, continuing to advertise themselves as the best service to the suburbs, despite LEX’s discontinuation. I don’t want them to use their advertising tricks to bad-mouth Peoria or other transportation companies in the area. Because, while I’m positive they did not directly shut down LEX (Lincolnland Express did it to itself), I’m also positive that Suburban’s negative marketing did not help them in students’ eyes, even before Oct. 23. 

Suburban Express is pretty reliable, but it’s not perfect. It’s no more expensive than the other services, and it is not without its share of mishaps. In fact, the first time I had to use LEX, it was because Suburban Express kicked me off a bus with no room for me the day of my trip home.

Plus, I don’t know how I feel about a company that calls itself the “Sexpress” and tells me to use their servicees when I need to “get some” in my hometown. I’m all for appropriate and tantalizing advertising that appeals to the human sex drive, but for some reason, Suburban Express makes me want to put on more clothes.

As of right now, it’s looking like Suburban will be the reigning champion of the bus services. And all can go well if Suburban doesn’t try to be a monopoly and instead drives its way into our hearts fair and square.

First of all, they need to provide more for students. Instead of just cashing in on LEX’s failures and lazily posting a link on the homepage, they need to advertise — and deliver — more buses and more times for students to go home. Since we lost a whole bus service, they will win our favor if they somehow add to the negative 30 buses and 34 drivers that we have now.

They also need to stop negatively slamming other bus services. It worked for LEX because LEX did not have it together. But besides the fact that the Greyhound going to the suburbs isn’t really cheap or time efficient, and Peoria doesn’t have too many travel time options, there isn’t much scandal.

LEX is dead, and Suburban lives on.

I just hope this is a win-win situation for students and doesn’t cause us more problems in the near future.

Tolu is a senior in Media. She can be reached at taiwo2@dailyillini.com.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

4 comments:

• ExpressAirCoach posted at 10:09 am on Mon, Feb 18, 2013.

ExpressAirCoach Posts: 2

EAC shuttle has started shuttle services between Urbana and O'Hare Airport too!
    www.expressaircoach.com

• Jensen posted at 9:07 am on Fri, Dec 14, 2012.

Jensen Posts: 2

Why is there no mention of Greyhound or Amtrak? Both are reasonable options that go back to the Chicago Suburbs.

• ryder1 posted at 11:59 pm on Tue, Dec 11, 2012.

ryder1 Posts: 1

There is another company now too. southsideexpress.com

• Chris posted at 5:22 pm on Mon, Dec 10, 2012.

Chris Posts: 2

Be careful Tolu, Suburban Express is known for banning customers who write critical things about them on the internet. One would think they'd be smart enough to not do this to a regular contributor to the student newspaper, but with basically no competition left they don't stand to lose much.

Connect with us