Proposed Assembly Hall fee would be unfair to students - The Daily Illini : Letters To Editor

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

Proposed Assembly Hall fee would be unfair to students

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:00 am

While I am an avid supporter of Illini athletics, especially the basketball team, I believe that, first off, it is unfair to subject the 42,000 students and the future students to agree to a fee that would be approved by 2,800 students. 

A petition on the Fighting Illini website asks that a $25 fee be charged to students to support a renovation of Assembly Hall. Also, I believe that the fee provides no additional perks for students. We will be paying for promotions and discounts that we already receive, and I’m sure our ticket prices will also go up throughout the life of this project. 

I believe there should be proper parity. If we, as students, agree to this deal, we should receive a freeze in ticket prices throughout the terms of this deal as I’m sure ticket prices will increase. I propose that as ticket prices increase, student tickets stay proportional so that students pay the same amount now for tickets as they will in the future. 

To ask to subject students to an additional $25 fee in a world where the cost of tuition supersedes inflation rates, without offering a concrete incentive, is unfair and taking advantage of students school spirit. 

I have no doubt that students will agree to this fee, but isn’t our institution better than taking advantage of 18- to 24-year-olds? The Division of Intercollegiate Athletics should offer the students a better incentive than a student lounge and increased student seating to secure the estimated 17 percent  of the total cost of construction that we would contribute. 

What do you think? 

Keithan Hedrick,

law school student, 

Class of 2015

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Connect with us