University must take steps to promote diversity, social change

This past Monday, the Illini Union’s Pine Lounge was transformed from its colonial Virginian style into a culturally hybrid space. This took place as several Tibetan Buddhist monks began designing a “mandala,” a circular sand art piece whose planned destruction on Friday symbolizes the impermanence of physical life. For five days, the once quiet lounge filled with large leather chairs and framed pictures of men and women, representing the past and present leaders and benefactors of the University, shared space with the colorful flowing robes and the chanting of the monks. Underneath the elders’ very gazes, the monks spread out a supplementary decor of pictures of the exiled Dalai Lama and ceremonial relics meant to be an integral part of the mandala itself. As they completed their task, the monks worked, walked around and smiled.

The event I just described illustrates the vision of diversity that the Division of Student Affairs holds, which we can understand by asking ourselves a few questions: “How are we transforming the institution every day by our work, and just as valuably, how are we changing the daily lives of the students we serve? How can we interrupt what the larger society regards as ‘normal’ or “traditional?”‘

What institutional events, symbols and actions result in the marginalization of particular groups? And finally, how do groups and individuals gain access and utilize physical and social spaces throughout campus?

For one week, the second annual iUnite will host events which seek to engage the campus community in critical dialogue. In addition, they aim to create safe spaces for all groups and individuals to enhance their understanding about the complexity of intersecting identities. Yet, we should not be satisfied that we have taken care of our “diversity responsibilities” through the activities of one week. Such programs are important in giving us a moment to think and engage one other about critical issues of diversity and social justice which affect us throughout the academic year and outside of the hallowed halls of the University. iUnite, moreover, prods everyone to imagine the possibilities if we had a community that was truly inclusive.

Of course, “inclusiveness” is something we have to work through every day.

For instance, several weeks ago, in a prominent location on Green Street, a sign made by a few private citizens used the word “retarded” to disparage a rival city. As many of us know, the word used in this manner also stains people with disabilities who have long been regarded as incapable of learning and denied the resources they need to complete their education.

A truly diverse community does not demean groups and individuals, particularly those from traditionally marginalized communities, but rather makes them feel part of the very fabric of the institution. The University should be a safe space that grants the same recognition and positive reinforcement to everyone, without double standards. Creating a safe university means students should be able to walk the campus, sit in a restaurant or attend a party without fear of being confronted by demeaning words or symbol, or violent acts.

The work of transforming the University will take time. It will require the activism of individuals and groups who wish to see the world beyond their own lens. It means working through the sometimes painful experience of being questioned and confronted about your own commitment to social change. And it also means listening to one another and respecting the thoughts, experiences and ideals of those from different backgrounds and generations.

I invite all of you to join me in continuing our journey towards an Illinois experience that truly promotes diversity.

Anna Gonzalez is the associate vice chancellor for Student Affairs and director for the Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Relations.