Burris’s choice to step aside should be relief

Last Friday, U.S. Senator Roland Burris announced that he would not seek another term in 2010. Burris’s service in the Senate over the last several months has amounted to nothing more than a distraction from the interests of the state that he claims to represent.

We applaud Burris for finally making the responsible choice to step aside, and look forward to the day when the people of Illinois have effective and responsible representation in both their senators.

Whether or not fundraising is really Burris’s motivation, he has finally made a responsible decision.

Says Burris on his decision not to seek another term, “I was called to choose between spending my time raising funds or spending my time raising issues for my state. I believe that the business of the people of the state of Illinois should always come first.”

But over his last four months in the Senate, Burris has done little to show that he puts the interests of Illinois before his career.

Burris’s four months in office have already amounted to enough distraction from the state’s concerns.

As soon as he was appointed, controversy began swirling around him for his decision to accept the appointment: Democrats in the Senate initially refused not to seat him.

Now the U.S. Senate Ethics Committee is investigating what Burris knew about Blagojevich’s plans to sell the Senate seat, a subject on which he has made contradictory statements.

Burris has few accomplishments to show for himself in the Senate, except for a bill to promote equitable distribution of stimulus money.

It will be a relief for Illinois voters when his antics are no longer a constant distraction from the business of the state.

In the past several weeks, many people have expressed interest in Burris’s seat, including State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, a Democrat, and Representative Mark Kirk, a Republican.

We hope that the next senator from Illinois will exercise better judgment than Burris and make serving Illinois, not advancing their career, their highest priority.

In any case, whoever succeeds Burris in the Senate will be chosen by election, not by a proclamation of a corrupt governor. That in itself is an improvement.