Unofficial brings official rules to C-U campus

Whether you love it or hate it, Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day is, unofficially, one of the biggest celebrations on campus. It brings thousands of members of our University community together, and attracts many visitors to town who wish to join in on the party.

But anyone who’s been on campus for this event knows that the morning after can bring more than just a hangover. By the end of last year’s Unofficial, police had given out 351 notices to appear in court. One person landed in the hospital in critical condition after falling from a climb to a fourth-floor balcony. University spokeswoman Robin Kaler said that after the festivities, Green Street looked like a Third World country.

One of the biggest reasons Unofficial can become destructive is because of the huge influx of people who do not attend the University.

Only 35.2 percent of citations issued were given to University students last year. It’s easier to disregard your surroundings when you can drive home the next day. We understand. But we don’t have the option to ignore the aftermath. If you’re hosting guests, remind them that this is your home. They probably don’t want to take home a ticket as a souvenir from their visit, either.

This year, more than ever, take care in understanding the new laws affecting Unofficial. Keep track of your guests if you live in a building with a balcony, for one.

A new city ordinance will mean hefty fines if you or a guest drop any object from your balcony. For example, if you live in a Roland Realty property, you could be fined $500 for the first offense and $1,000 for the second. If you live in a building owned by JSM Management, you could be evicted.

It comes down to this: Be safe.

Unofficial is just one day a year. Don’t let the choices you make on this day alter the ones that come after it — tickets, injuries, trash and fines are not fun any day of the year.

Before Unofficial begins, whether or not you are celebrating the day, think about how you can enjoy yourself while still respecting our campus and those around you.

There will be people choosing not to drink or wear green. They shouldn’t have to be harassed because of it. Make sure you’re using common sense. We should all look out for each other, as well. Our colors will be orange and blue long after the green shirts hit the laundry basket.