Crackdown on drugs: for the best?

The latest “crackdown” on drugs has left me stupefied and full of questions. I wonder why a two-semester investigation, involving three jurisdictions, 25 arrests, and two seized vehicles is appropriate for 180 grams, or $2,000-$3,600, of marijuana. I wonder how many tens, maybe hundreds of times more expensive the investigation was than the half-freezer bag of pot that was confiscated. I wonder what will happen to those arrested, who will be kicked out of school, denied financial aid and possibly serve jail time for possession of a drug our last three presidents have admitted to using.

I wonder if the University sees the irony in professing its zero tolerance toward one recreational and relatively harmless drug, used mostly in private residences, even as hundreds of underage, drunk students roam Green Street every weekend. I wonder why Champaign has the money for yearlong investigations of productive university students, yet the sizeable number of homeless people on campus are given nothing but the opportunity to root through our garbage. I wonder why our police spend their days dressing as UPS drivers and tricking students, even as the DI’s blotter is full of crimes that could be prevented with more patrolling.

I can only hope I am not the only one wondering this, and that sooner than later this community’s approach to marijuana will change.

Leon Eydelman