Letter to the Editor

Stick figures offend, don’t protect freedom of speech

This past Thursday, a campus organization held an event where they drew stick figure representations of the Muslim prophet Muhammad all around campus. The purpose of this event was to protest censorship and protect free speech. The event was brought to my attention beforehand so I contacted the organization responsible. As I explained to them, depicting images of the prophet is considered offensive to the vast majority of Muslims. I acknowledged their right to free speech, but also pointed out the unproductive nature of their event. At the end, I invited the organization to a dialogue at which we could discuss the issue. They declined the suggestion, all the while acknowledging that they understood their event would offend Muslims.

Communication often alleviates misunderstanding, but a lack of it most certainly propagates it. Free speech allows us to engage one another in positive dialogue and work towards shared goals. It also allows us to belittle one another, burn bridges and provoke negative responses. Using our own discretion we can choose to invoke free speech to work towards mutually beneficial goals, or use it to divide the community and harm its cohesiveness.

Protecting freedom of speech is, undoubtedly, in the interest of all. Therefore, when an opportunity arises to defend it, it is very important to unify its supporters and avoid alienating people who are on the same side.

Last Thursday’s actions may have had good intentions but failed to accomplish their goals in a productive manner. Wouldn’t it have been more impressive if there were a combined condemnation of the actions of those who seek to suppress our First Amendment right?

As it stands now, most people I have spoken to are not aware of the drawings or do not understand their purpose. I wish we could have combined our efforts and found a more productive way to make everyone aware of the issue. However, the deed has been done, and we are going to exercise our right to freedom of speech and leave these events behind us.

Sincerely,

Omar Fareedi,

President of the Muslim Students Association