Hateful actions not the route to free speech

I wish to address this letter to the “Defenders of Free Speech”, who, on Tuesday night, scrawled portrayals of the prophet Muhammad on the steps of the Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center on Lincoln Avenue, along with a message accusing the community there of threatening the lives of the creators of South Park.

Freedom of speech is a fundamental virtue in America and as such it is important to understand it well, so that the ability to scrawl hateful messages and images on a house of prayer is not confused with the freedom that our nation’s patriots have given their lives defending.

Similar to how the “Revolution Muslim” group did nothing to promote respect or understanding of the Islamic community by advocating the possibility that the creators of South Park would face a similar fate as Theo van Gogh, neither are you in any way promoting freedom of speech by chalking messages taken from the mainstream media on the steps of a community center in the dark of night.

If you really wish to promote freedom of speech, you might try engaging in dialogue with someone from a different background or religion than yourself. The Urbana Islamic Center has a wonderful venue to do this. On their website near the quote in the center of the page, “Assalaamu Alaikum — Peace be unto you” is a box where you can submit questions you might have about the Islamic religion. Below this is contact information in case you would like to visit the Mosque, instead of drawing graffiti on their steps.

The freedom of individuals to express dissenting opinions is at the heart of a peaceful, democratic society. Your hateful, divisive actions are reminiscent of the individual who used his freedom of speech to threaten the creators of South Park — counterproductive dialogue that serves only to exacerbate and perpetuate misunderstanding, bringing shame and mistrust to our community.

Charles Gross,

senior in Engineering